Palace boss Roy Hodgson has never heard of player linked to transfer move
Drew Bartle Head Sports Editor
In one of the more obscure reactions to a January transfer story, Crystal Palace boss Roy Hodgson has declared he has “never heard” of the latest player linked to the Eagles.
The Mirror carry quotes as Hodgson was questioned as to whether Palace were in for 20-year old Josh Maja from Sunderland, with reporters taken aback by the wily manager’s response;
“I have never heard of him, sorry.”
“It is not my job to scout players.”
“I am pretty sure, if you asked our scouting department or our head of scouting, ‘What about Josh Maja?’ – if that’s his name – he would tell you chapter and verse on him.”
“But nobody has mentioned him to me, and I don’t spend my time watching Sunderland play.”
Josh Maja has been in-form for the Black Cats down in League One, netting 14 times in the league, however the club were dealt a blow after the striker rejected a new contract, which now means he is free to sign with a new club in the summer – or Sunderland can cash-in whatever they can now instead.
Maja has, according to the Mirror, not asked to leave Sunderland which may give fans hope, however Premier League giants such as Manchester City and Tottenham are said to be keeping tabs on the youngster’s situation.
- Aston Villa on the brink of losing Tammy Abraham due to January clause
- Juventus ‘would consider’ future Man City bid for forward in excess of £90m
- Liverpool, Spurs and Everton want to sign Club Brugge’s Dutch winger
- Boost for Liverpool as target Timo Werner handed ultimatum by RB Leipzig
- Birmingham edge ahead of rivals in bid to sign out of favour Norwich winger