Boost for Liverpool as target Timo Werner handed ultimatum by RB Leipzig
Drew Bartle Head Sports Editor
Liverpool will be sensing a major opportunity to sign transfer target Timo Werner from German club RB Leipzig this month, but more likely in the summer window, as his contract continues to run down.
RB Leipzig have reportedly told Timo Werner it’s time to sign a new contract with the club that has rocketed him to a starting spot in the German national side, or be sold for maximum value – his deal expires in 2020.
The report in the Mirror says that the 22-year old is halting any talks to sign a new contract and is evaluating all of his options before committing to RBL for the long-term – no surprise considering the German striker has scored 11 in 17 this season.
Liverpool have shown interest in the past and still have Werner on their radar and will no doubt be monitoring this situation closely. The lure of linking up with countryman Jurgen Klopp amongst attacking talent such as Salah and Mane is surely going to be appealing for the German.
Bayern Munich and Real Madrid are also said to be interested in Timo Werner – so if he does decide to depart, there’s going to be one almighty tussle for his signature.
- Liverpool, Spurs and Everton want to sign Club Brugge’s Dutch winger
- Leeds to test Hoffenheim with ambitious bid for World Cup goalscorer
- Palace boss Roy Hodgson has never heard of player linked to transfer move
- Juventus ‘would consider’ future Man City bid for forward in excess of £90m
- Aston Villa on the brink of losing Tammy Abraham due to January clause