Leeds’ Marcelo Bielsa targets former player to replace outgoing Samuel Saiz
Drew Bartle Head Sports Editor
Leeds United are on the verge of agreeing a full transfer for Samuel Saiz to depart Elland Road permanently, with La Liga side Getafe set to trigger their right to buy the player in January’s transfer window.
With a sale to be agreed, Leeds will use the finances to potentially fund a move for the manager Marcelo Bielsa’s former player Ibai Gomez – with the two having worked together while at Athletic Bilbao.
Ibai Gomez’s current club Alaves are flying in La Liga, currently sitting 5th in the table just two points behind the current Champions League holders Real Madrid – so it may be a hard get for Leeds come January.
In fact the report in Spanish news source AS via the Leicester Mercury claims that Leicester City are also in the running, with former club Athletic Bilbao also considering bringing back Ibai Gomez after an impressive season so far.
The 29-year old winger has scored three and assisted two in La Liga and has the potential to be quite the marquee signing for Leeds in their second half push for promotion from the Championship.
Alaves do seem resigned to losing Ibai Gomez, with the winger out of contract next summer and could opt to cash-in what they can in January instead of losing their man on a free.
- Leeds to test Hoffenheim with ambitious bid for World Cup goalscorer
- Birmingham edge ahead of rivals in bid to sign out of favour Norwich winger
- Aston Villa on the brink of losing Tammy Abraham due to January clause
- Liverpool, Spurs and Everton want to sign Club Brugge’s Dutch winger
- Juventus ‘would consider’ future Man City bid for forward in excess of £90m